Sunday 13 May 2012

Satyamev Jayate


It is not often that we get to see an act of true selflessness. And when we do see it happen, the cynic inside us questions whether there might have been an ulterior motive in mind.

Celebrities today often devise innovative ways of garnering greater support for themselves. This may occur in the form of social networking sites, blogging or maybe starting their own television show. But the aim is clear- to prominently advertise oneself. So when I happened to watch Aamir Khan’s project “Satyamev Jayate”, I thought Mr. Perfectionist had found the perfect means of promoting himself. As the show drew to a close an hour and a half later, I recognized just how mistaken I had been.

How would one like to spend a Sunday? Get up late; have the satisfaction of not having to shave, happy that on atleast one day of the week we do not do what society expects of us; have an elaborate brunch; an afternoon siesta and then practice the art of being skillfully unemployed. Watching a hard-hitting documentary on a socially relevant issue would probably not feature on anyone’s list.

As I settled onto the couch and the opening credits played, the theme song was cut short. Cries of plagiarism had tainted the catchy tune and I was inwardly sniggering, ready to be taken for a royal ride. My mother finally coaxed me into watching the episode.

The agenda for the episode was child sexual abuse and the mood in the room suddenly turned serious. The thought of watching the show in the presence of my parents was mortifying. But such inconsequential things were quickly pushed out of my mind, Aamir had begun.

The show traversed the length and breadth of the country, alongwith interviews of victims and a variety of shocking statistics. Despite tackling such an important issue the mood of the show was surprisingly light hearted and yet managed to deliver the killer punch. Being rather unaffected by sensitive issues, I was surprised that the show had affected me on an emotional level as well. The only time I loathed were the commercial breaks, where my parents would question me on whether anyone had tried to ‘harm’ me.  “Beta, tumko kuch nahi huan na?”

Ah, parents.

The fact that Aamir Khan has gone beyond what someone in his position is expected to do is undeniable. Yet, in a country like ours where we very often see movements fizzle out, it would be disheartening to see the same occur in this case as well. His unique style of approaching the issue in as professional a manner as possible adds to the appeal of the show. It fills viewers with confidence, almost as if he were holding your hand assuring you that Aal Izz Well even when reports confirm the exact opposite. One can only hope that he follows up on all his promises otherwise this endeavor shall only add to a large list of “could-have-beens”

To a certain extent, some ideas have been lifted from The Oprah Winfrey Show but the manner in which the two unique hosts connect with their audience is what sets them apart.

As is often said, it’s not over till it’s over. Mr. Khan must finish what he has started and all we can do is provide him the support he needs.

Till then, Satyamev Jayate.










Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Well written dude. I have no idea when you actually started blogging, but this was a real good read. Thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to give me your feedback about the blog by posting your comments